Print friendly version
Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer
Other Names for this Disease
- Leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer, hereditary
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
kidney cancer. It is caused by mutations in the FH gene. It is passed through families in an autosomal dominant fashion.Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer is a genetic disease. Signs and symptoms usually begin in adulthood and include leiomyomas in the skin and, in females, the uterus (i.e., fibroids). Leiomyomas are benign (noncancerous) tumors containing smooth muscle tissue. People with this condition also have an increased risk of
Last updated: 7/31/2009
- Pithukpakorn M, Toro J. Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer. GeneReviews. 2006; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&part=hlrcc#hlrcc.References. Accessed 7/31/2009.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- Medscape Reference has a page on leiomyoma that includes some information on hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer. You may need to register to view this medical reference page, but registration is free.
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.