Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Klatskin's tumor
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Klatskin tumors are tumors that affect the upper part of the bile duct where it divides to enter the right and left parts of the liver. One or both sides may be affected. Individuals with Klatskin tumors often present with jaundice and/or abnormal liver tests. Treatment may involve surgical removal of the tumor. Not all tumors can be removed. Prognosis for cases that cannot be removed (non-resectable tumors) is poor.
- Bile Duct (Cholangiocarcinoma) Cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BileDuctCancer/DetailedGuide/. Accessed July 15, 2011.
- Darwin PE, Kennedy AS, Bonheur JL. Cholangiocarcinoma. eMedicine. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/277393-overview. Accessed July 15, 2011.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The National Cancer Institute (CIS) provides the most current information on cancer for patients, health professionals, and the general public. You can reach them by calling toll-free at 1-800-422-6237 or by visiting their Web site.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge. Click on the link to read information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Klatskin tumor. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.