Print friendly version
Pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1C
Other Names for this Disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1C is a genetic disorder that resembles hypoparathyroidism (lowered levels of parathyroid hormone), but is caused by a lack of response to parathyroid hormone rather than having too little of the hormone itself. This condition is very similar to hypoparathyroidism, with low calcium levels and high phosphate levels in the blood. This condition is also associated with short stature, a round face, and short hand bones, which is referred to as Albright's hereditary osteodystrophy. It is distinguished from pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1A because those with type 1C do not have a defect in activity of a particular protein. It is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion and is caused by a specific mutation in the GNAS gene.
Last updated: 10/7/2011
- Topiwala S. Pseudohypoparathyroidism. MedlinePlus. July 2012; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000364.htm. Accessed 10/17/2012.
- Pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1C. Online Mendelian Inheritance of Man (OMIM). March 2010; http://omim.org/entry/612462. Accessed 10/7/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1C. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1C. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pseudohypoparathyroidism type 1C. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.