Idiopathic juxtafoveal retinal telangiectasia
Other Names for this Disease
- Idiopathic juxtafoveal retinal telangiectasis
- Idiopathic juxtafoveal telangiectasis
- Idiopathic macular telangiectasia
- Parafoveal telangiectasis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
Laser photocoagulation of areas of leakage may be helpful in treating vision loss in people with certain subtypes of IJT, such as Group 1A. A laser is a powerful beam of light which can be focused on the retina. Small "bursts" of the laser can be used to seal leaky blood vessels, destroy abnormal blood vessels, seal retinal tears, and destroy abnormal tissue in the back of the eye. Photocoagulation usually is not considered for people with people in Group 1B because of the closeness of the leakage to the fovea, and the good prognosis without treatment. It may benefit people in Group 2 but in most cases, the abnormal lesions are so close to the fovea that treatment is difficult.
Last updated: 2/10/2014
- Retinal vascular diseases. Digital reference of ophthalmology. http://dro.hs.columbia.edu/juxtafovtel.htm. Accessed 7/23/2012.
- Yanoff & Duker. Ophthalmology, 3rd ed. USA: Mosby, An Imprint of Elsevier; 2008;
- Laser Photocoagulation. Retina Vitreous Center. 2010; http://www.retinavitreouscenter.com/procedures_laser_photocoagulation.html. Accessed 7/23/2012.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Idiopathic juxtafoveal retinal telangiectasia. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.
- The U.S. National Institutes of Health, through the National Library of Medicine, developed ClinicalTrials.gov to provide patients, family members, and members of the public with current information on clinical research studies. There is a study titled Screening Study for the Evaluation and Diagnosis of Potential Research Participants which may be of interest to you. To find this trial, click on the link above.