Other Names for this Disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
degenerative changes of the nervous system (brain and spinal cord). There are many different types of SCA; the signs and symptoms vary by type but may include an uncoordinated walk (gait), poor hand-eye coordination, and abnormal speech (dysarthria). Depending on the type, SCA can be inherited in an autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, or X-linked manner. Treatment is supportive and based on the signs and symptoms present in each person.Spinocerebellar ataxia (SCA) is a group of inherited conditions that are characterized by
Last updated: 12/2/2014
- NINDS Ataxias and Cerebellar or Spinocerebellar Degeneration Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. April 2014; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/ataxia/ataxia.htm.
- Opal P, Zoghbi, HY. The Spinocerebellar Ataxias. UpToDate. November 2014; http://www.uptodate.com/contents/the-spinocerebellar-ataxias. Accessed 2/12/2015.
- Autosomal Dominant Hereditary Ataxia. NORD. April 2014; http://rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/674/viewFullReport.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Spinocerebellar ataxia. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Spinocerebellar ataxia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.