Print friendly version
Blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndromes
Other Names for this Disease
- Blepharophimosis mental retardation syndromes
- Blepharophimosis syndrome Ohdo type
- Ohdo Blepharophimosis syndrome
- Ohdo syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 Since that time many other case reports describing people with similar (yet variable) features have been reported. The syndromes usually occur sporadically. In most cases the underlying cause can not be determined.Blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndromes refers to a group of syndromes, including Ohdo syndrome and Say Barber Biesecker Young-Simpson syndrome, that are characterized by narrow eye openings (blepharophimosis), drooping of the upper eye lids (ptosis) and intellectual disability. Dr. Ohdo published an article in 1986 describing the first three cases of this syndrome (in a brother, sister, and cousin).
Last updated: 12/5/2011
- Verloes A, Bremond-Gignac D, Isidor B, David A, Baumann C, Leroy MA, Stevens R, Gillerot Y, Héron D, Héron B, Benzacken B, Lacombe D, Brunner H, Bitoun P. Blepharophimosis-mental retardation (BMR) syndromes: A proposed clinical classification of the so-called Ohdo syndrome, and delineation of two new BMR syndromes, one X-linked and one autosomal recessive. Am J Med Genet A . 2006 Jun 15; 140(12):1285-96; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16700052. Accessed 12/2/2011.
- White SM, Adès LC, Amor D, Liebelt J, Bankier A, Baker E, Wilson M, Savarirayan R. Two further cases of Ohdo syndrome delineate the phenotypic variability of the condition. Clin Dysmorphol. 2003 Apr;12(2):109-13; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12868473. Accessed 12/2/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndromes. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Contact a Family offers information on blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndrome (Ohdo syndrome) on their Web site. Click on Contact a Family to view the information page.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndromes. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndromes (Ohdo syndrome and Young-Simpson syndrome). Click on the embeded links to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndromes. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Blepharophimosis intellectual disability syndromes. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.