Print friendly version
Pontine tegmental cap dysplasia
Other Names for this Disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
developmental delay, cranial nerve dysfunction, and malformation of the hindbrain. Individuals with PTCD may have a collection of medical and devlopmental problems including: hearing impairment, ataxia, language and speech disorders, feeding and swallowing difficulties, heart malformations and facial paralysis. The cause of this condition is unknown.The severity of the medical problems varies among patients. Some patients have a good long-term prognosis with normal intelligence and partial speech. To date, the condition has been identified in less than 20 patients.Pontine tegmental cap dysplasia (PTCD) is a non-progressive disorder characterized by significant
Last updated: 5/3/2012
- What is pontine tegmental cap dysplaisa?. UW Hindbrain Malformation Research Program. 2012; http://depts.washington.edu/joubert/pontinetegmentalcapdysplasia.php. Accessed 4/26/2012.
- Briguglio M, Pinelli L, Giordano L, et al. Pontine tegmental cap dysplasia: developmental and cognitive outcome in three adolescent patients. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2011; 6:36. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21651769. Accessed 4/26/2012.
- Desai N, Young L, Miranda M., et al . Pontine tegmental cap dysplasia: the neurotologic perspective. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2011; 6:992-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21705787. Accessed 4/26/2012.
- The University of Washington's hindbrain malformation research program has more information on this condition. Click on the link to read information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pontine tegmental cap dysplasia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.