Other Names for this Disease
- Carney myxoma-endocrine complex
- Carney syndrome
- LAMB syndrome
mutations in the PRKAR1A gene. Carney syndrome is believed to be inherited in an autosomal dominant manner, which means that an affected parent has a 50% chance of passing on the affected gene to each of his/her children.Carney complex is a hereditary cancer syndrome characterized by spotty skin pigmentation, cardiac (heart) myxomas (tumors composed of mucous connective tissue), skin myxomas, and endocrine gland tumors. Some families with this condition have been found to have
Last updated: 3/22/2010
- Stratakis CA, Horvath A. Carney Complex. Gene Reviews. January 10, 2008; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&partid=1286. Accessed 8/25/2008.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Carney complex. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration (SSA) created the Compassionate Allowance Initiative to speed up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain conditions. Click on the link to view the Compassionate Allowance information for adrenal cancer, a cancer associated with this condition. More information about applying for Social Security disability benefits is available online.