Print friendly version
Congenital nephrotic syndrome Finnish type
Other Names for this Disease
- Congenital nephrotic syndrome 1
- Finnish congenital nephrosis
- Nephrosis 1, congenital, Finnish type
- Nephrosis, congenital
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 The syndrome is characterized by nephrotic syndrome (a group of symptoms including protein in the urine (proteinuria), low blood protein levels, high cholesterol levels, and swelling), which progresses rapidly to end-stage kidney disease. Although more commonly seen in individuals of Finnish descent, congenital nephrotic syndrome of Finnish type has been reported worldwide.  Congenital nephrotic syndrome of Finnish type is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion and is caused by mutations in a gene called NPHS1. At this time, kidney transplantation seems to be the only treatment available for this condition.Congenital nephrotic syndrome of Finnish type is a genetic condition of the kidney that presents in utero or within the first three months of life.
Last updated: 8/31/2009
- Lee BH, Ahn YH, Choi HJ, Kang HK, Kim S, Cho B et al. J Korean Med Sci. 2009; http://jkms.org/Synapse/Data/PDFData/0063JKMS/jkms-24-S210.pdf. Accessed 8/31/2009.
- Nephrotic syndrome. MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. August 14, 2007; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/000490.htm. Accessed 8/31/2009.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Congenital nephrotic syndrome Finnish type. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
On this page
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Congenital nephrotic syndrome Finnish type. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Congenital nephrotic syndrome Finnish type. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.