Print friendly version
Corpus callosum agenesis
Other Names for this Disease
- Agenesis of corpus callosum
- Da silva syndrome
- Mental retardation hypoplastic corpus callosum preauricular tag
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Corpus callosum agenesis is a birth defect in which the structure that connects the two sides of the brain (the corpus callosum) is partially or completely absent. This birth defect can occur as an isolated condition or in combination with other abnormalities. The effects of agenesis of the corpus callosum range from subtle or mild to severe, depending on associated brain abnormalities. Treatment usually involves management of symptoms and seizures if they occur.
- NINDS Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Website. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/agenesis/agenesis.htm. Accessed May 4, 2009.
On this page
- MedlinePlus, a Web site designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge. Click on the link to read information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Corpus callosum agenesis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Corpus callosum agenesis. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.