Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy
Other Names for this Disease
- Criswick-Schepens syndrome
- Exudative vitreoretinopathy, familial
Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy (FEVR) is a hereditary disorder that can cause progressive vision loss. This condition affects the retina, the light-sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye, by preventing blood vessels from forming at the edges of the retina. This reduces the blood supply to retina. The signs and symptoms include vision loss or blindness, retinal detachment, strabismus, and a visible whiteness (leukocoria) in the normally black pupil. The severity of FEVR varies widely, even within the same family. Many people with this condition do not experience any vision problems.FEVR has different inheritance patterns depending on the gene involved. Most individuals have the autosomal dominant form of this condition, caused by mutations in the FZD4 or LRP5 gene. FEVR caused by LRP5 gene mutations can also have an autosomal recessive inheritance. When this condition is caused by mutations in the NDP gene, it has an X-linked pattern of inheritance.
- Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy. Genetics Home Reference. February 2009; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/familial-exudative-vitreoretinopathy. Accessed 3/3/2011.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy 1
Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy 2
Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy 3
Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy 4
Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy 5
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.