Print friendly version
Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia
Other Names for this Disease
- Idiopathic BOOP
- Idiopathic bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
malaise, fatigue and weight loss. COP often affects adults in midlife (40 to 60 years of age). No predisposing factors have been identified and the cause is often unknown. Diagnosis may be made through computed tomography (CT) scan or lung biopsy. Response to treatment with corticosteroids is generally favorable.Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia (COP) is a rapidly developing inflammatory lung disease characterized by flu-like symptoms including cough, fever,
Last updated: 3/15/2013
- Cordier JF, Costabel U, du Bois R. Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia. Orphanet. 2004; http://www.orphanet.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=1302. Accessed 11/4/2011.
- King TE. Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook. 2008; http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/lung_and_airway_disorders/interstitial_lung_diseases/idiopathic_interstitial_pneumonias.html. Accessed 11/4/2011.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.