Other Names for this Disease
- Arachnoid cysts, intracranial
- Intracranial arachnoid cysts
On this page
The exact underlying cause of arachnoid cysts is unknown. Primary arachnoid cysts, which are congenital (present at birth), are due to developmental abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord during the early fetal period. Secondary arachnoid cysts, which occur more rarely, are associated with head injury, hemorrhage, meningitis, tumors, or a complication of brain surgery.
Last updated: 7/11/2013
- Arachnoid Cysts. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2004; http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Arachnoid%20Cysts. Accessed 2/12/2010.
- Khan AN, Turnbull I, Al-Okaili R, MacDonald S, Mahmood K. Arachnoid Cyst. eMedicine. 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/336489-overview. Accessed 2/12/2010.
- NINDS Arachnoid Cysts Information Page. NINDS. September 16, 2011; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/arachnoid_cysts/arachnoid_cysts.htm. Accessed 7/11/2013.