Junctional epidermolysis bullosa
Other Names for this Disease
- Epidermolysis bullosa atrophicans
- Epidermolysis bullosa, junctional
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Epidermolysis Bullosa, a group of genetic conditions that cause the skin to be very fragile and to blister easily. JEB is separated into two categories: the Herlitz type and the Non-Herlitz type. The Herlitz type of JEB is very severe, and individuals with this condition often do not survive infancy. The Non-Herlitz type includes several subtypes that cause mild to severe blistering of the skin present at birth or shortly thereafter.  JEB is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern. It is caused by mutations in the LAMB3, COL17A1, or LAMC2, and LAMA3 genes.Junctional epidermolysis bullosa (JEB) is a type of
Last updated: 7/22/2011
- Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa. Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa Research Association of America. 2011; http://www.debra.org/junctional. Accessed 7/11/2011.
- Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa. Gene Reviews. April 2008 ; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1125. Accessed 7/11/2011.
- Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa. Genetics Home Reference . April 2009 ; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/junctional-epidermolysis-bullosa. Accessed 7/11/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Junctional epidermolysis bullosa. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Junctional epidermolysis bullosa. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.