Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy, type 2C
- Adhalin deficiency, secondary
- Duchenne-like muscular dystrophy, autosomal recessive, type 1
- Epileptic encephalopathy with global cerebral demyelination
Your QuestionI live in Serbia, and I'm looking all around the world to find somebody who may give me hope and help me with my problem. In 1998 when I was 12-years-old, I suddenly felt some pains in my leg muscles and from that moment I have problems with my all body muscles. Now I am 23 and I still walk on my own but it is very hard. Two years ago I was diagnosed with gamma-sarcoglycanopathy (LGMD2C).
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
There is no specific treatment for limb-girdle muscular dystrophy. Management of the condition is based on the person's symptoms and subtype (if known). The GeneReview article on limb-girdle muscular dystrophy lists the following approach for medical management of the condition:
- Weight control to avoid obesity
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises to promote mobility and prevent contractures
- Use of mechanical aids such as canes, walkers, orthotics, and wheelchairs as needed to help ambulation and mobility
- Monitoring and surgical intervention as needed for orthopedic complications such as foot deformity and scoliosis
- Monitoring of respiratory function and use of respiratory aids when indicated
- Monitoring for evidence of cardiomyopathy in those subtypes with known occurrence of cardiac involvement
- Social and emotional support and stimulation to maximize a sense of social involvement and productivity and to reduce the sense of social isolation common in these disorders
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2C . OMIM Database. 1/23/2009; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=253700. Accessed 4/14/2009.
- Muscular Dystrophy: Hope Through Research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Website. 2010; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/md/detail_md.htm. Accessed 11/1/2010.
- Gordon E, Pegoraro E, Hoffman EP. Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Overview. Gene Reviews. September 2, 2008; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&part=lgmd-overview. Accessed 4/14/2009.