Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- AR hyperimmunoglobulin E syndrome
- DOCK8 deficiency
- HIES autosomal recessive
- Hyper Ig E syndrome, autosomal recessive
In contrast to AD-HIES, the AR variant is further characterized by extreme hypereosinophilia (increase in the eosinophil count in the bloodstream); susceptibility to viral infections such as Herpes simplex and Molluscum contagiosum; involvement of the central nervous system; T-cell defects; and a high death rate. The dental, skeletal, connective tissue, and facial features present in AD-HIES are absent in AR-HIES. AR-HIES is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion and is caused by mutations in the DOCK8 gene.
- Woellner C & Grimbacher B. Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome. Orphanet. http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=169446. Accessed June 2, 2011.
- Hyper-IgE Recurrent Infection Syndrome, Autosomal Recessive. Online Mendelian Inheritance of Man (OMIM). Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome. Accessed June 2, 2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
On this page
- The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) provides information related to the health of children, adults, and families. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge. Click on the link to read information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.