Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Ichtyosis, Brittle hair, Intellectual impairment, Decreased fertility, and Short stature
- Tay syndrome
- Trichothiodystrophy with congenital ichtyosis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
Although Tay syndrome is known to be genetic, the gene(s) associated with the condition is(are) unknown. Tay syndrome is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern , which means two copies of the gene in each cell are altered (mutated). If both parents carry the gene for Tay syndrome, their children have a 25% chance of being affected with Tay syndrome. Additionally, each child has a 50% chance of being an unaffected carrier, like their parents, and a 25% chance of being a non-carrier.
Last updated: 7/30/2013