Jervell Lange-Nielsen syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Cardioauditory syndrome of Jervell and Lange-Nielsen
- Deafness, congenital, and functional heart disease
- Prolonged QT interval in EKG and sudden death
- Surdo-cardiac syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
long QT syndrome. Symptoms include deafness from birth, arrhythmia, fainting, and sudden death. There are two different types, Jervell Lange-Nielsen syndrome type 1 and 2. It is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion.Jervell Lange-Nielsen syndrome is a form of
Last updated: 12/18/2008
- Sovari AA, Kocheril AG, Assadi R Baas AS, Zareba W, Rosero S. Long QT syndrome. eMedicine. 2010; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/157826-overview . Accessed 4/15/2011.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Jervell Lange-Nielsen syndrome. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Jervell Lange-Nielsen syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Jervell Lange-Nielsen syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.
- Identification and Treatment of Sudden Death Conditions in Young Patients. A presentation by David Bradley, M.D., Director, Pediatric Heart Rhythm Service, CS Mott Children's Hospital. Assoicate Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases, University of Michigan.