Lactate dehydrogenase deficiency
lactate dehydrogenase A deficiency (sometimes called glycogen storage disease XI) and lactate dehydrogenase B deficiency. People with lactate dehydrogenase A deficiency experience fatigue, muscle pain, and cramps during exercise (exercise intolerance). People with lactate dehydrogenase B deficiency typically do not have symptoms. Lactate dehydrogenase A deficiency is caused by mutations in the LDHA gene. Lactate dehydrogenase B deficiency is caused by mutations in the LDHB gene. Both types are inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern.Lactate dehydrogenase deficiency is a condition that affects how the body breaks down sugar to use as energy in cells, primarily muscle cells. There are two types of lactate dehydrogenase deficiency:
Last updated: 12/27/2012
- Lactate dehydrogenase deficiency. Genetics Home Reference. February 2012; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactate-dehydrogenase-deficiency.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Lactate dehydrogenase deficiency. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Lactate dehydrogenase deficiency. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) provides information about lactate dehydrogenase deficiency. Click on the link to access this information.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.