Other Names for this Disease
- Anterior submucous laryngeal cleft (subtype)
- Cleft, larynx posterior
- Congenital laryngeal clefts (subtype)
- Posterior laryngeal cleft (PLC)
- Type 1A (minor laryngeal cleft)
larynx, or voice box, and the esophagus. Normally, when the larynx develops, it is completely separate from the esophagus so swallowed foods go directly into the stomach. When a laryngeal cleft occurs, there is an opening between the larynx and the esophagus so food and liquid can pass through the larynx into the lungs. There are several different types of laryngeal clefts (Types I through IV), classified based on the extent of the clefting.A laryngeal cleft is a rare abnormality of the separation between the
Last updated: 9/1/2011
- Laryngeal Cleft. Children's Hospital Boston. http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1137/mainpageS1137P0.html. Accessed 8/30/2011.
- Pezzettigotta SM, Leboulanger N, Roger G, Denoyelle F, Garabedian EN. Laryngeal Cleft. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2008; 41:913-933. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18775342. Accessed 8/30/2011.
- Tewfik TL, Karsan N, Laberge JM. Congenital Malformations of the Esophagus. eMedicine. 2010; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/837879-overview. Accessed 8/30/2011.
- Rahbar R, Rouillon I, Roger G, Lin A, Nuss RC, Denoyelle F, McGill TJ, Healy GB, Garabedian EN. The Presentation and Management of Laryngeal Cleft. Archives of Ololaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2006; 132:1335-1341. http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/132/12/1335. Accessed 8/30/2011.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Laryngeal cleft. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- Rahbar R, Rouillon I, Roger G, Lin A, Nuss RC, Denoyelle F, McGill TJ, Healy GB, Garabedian EN. The Presentation and Management of Laryngeal Cleft: A 10-Year Experience. Archives of Ololaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2006; 132(12):1335-1341.