Your browser does not support javascript:   Search for gard hereSearch for news-and-events here.

Diseases

Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)

Print friendly version

Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis


Other Names for this Disease

  • DCO
  • Dyschondrosteosis
  • Léri-Weill dyschondrosteosis
  • LWD
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.

Overview

Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis is a skeletal dysplasia characterized by short stature and an abnormality of the wrist bones called Madelung deformity.[1] Short stature is present from birth due to shortening of the bones in the forearms and lower legs. Madelung deformity typically develops during mid-to-late childhood and may progress during puberty.[2] People with this condition often experience pain in their wrists or arms. The severity of Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis varies among affected individuals, although the signs and symptoms of this condition are generally more severe in females.[1] Other features of Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis can include increased muscle size, elbow abnormalities, scoliosis, high-arched palate, and exostoses.[2] Intelligence is not affected by this condition.[1] In around 70 percent of cases, Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis is caused by mutations in or near one copy of the SHOX gene in each cell.[1][3] The cause of the disorder remains unknown in the remaining 30 percent of cases.[1]
Last updated: 2/23/2010

References

  1. Heath K. Léri-Weill dyschondrosteosis. Orphanet Web site. May 2009; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=240. Accessed 2/23/2010.
  2. Munns C, Glass I. SHOX-Related Haploinsufficiency Disorders. GeneReviews Web site. February 1, 2008; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&part=lwd. Accessed 2/23/2010.
  3. SHOX. Genetics Home Reference Web site. May 2008; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene=shox. Accessed 2/23/2010.
Your Questions Answered
by the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center

Please contact us with your questions about Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.

Basic Information

  • Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
  • The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.

In Depth Information

  • Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
  • The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. 
  • Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs.  Access to this database is free of charge.
  • PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Leri Weill dyschondrosteosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Other Names for this Disease
  • DCO
  • Dyschondrosteosis
  • Léri-Weill dyschondrosteosis
  • LWD
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.