See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
writer's cramp and musician's dystonia. In most cases, the cause of limb dystonia remains unknown. Treatment is challenging. Botulinum toxin injection, oral medications, and physical therapy may help some patients.Limb dystonia is characterized by excessive pulling of the muscles of a limb, such as the hand or foot. The arm or leg might also be involved. Specific symptoms depend on the combinations of muscles involved and how hard each one is pulling. Mild forms may be expressed as stiffness or soreness of a limb; more moderate forms are characterized by unwanted movements or postures; and in severe forms, abnormal postures may become fixed. Common examples of limb dystonia include
Last updated: 8/31/2014
- Limb dystonia. Dystonia Coalition. http://www.rarediseasesnetwork.org/Dystonia/patients/learnmore/limb/index.htm. Accessed 8/31/2014.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Limb dystonia. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Limb dystonia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.