Neonatal progeroid syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Progeroid syndrome neonatal
- Wiedemann Rautenstrauch syndrome
- Wiedemann-Rautenstrauch syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 This differentiates this syndrome from other premature aging syndromes such as Hutchinson–Gilford progeria syndrome (HGPS) (more commonly called progeria) in which characteristics of premature aging typically become apparent some time after birth. Although the exact cause of neonatal progeroid syndrome is unknown, it is believed to be genetic and inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion. Treatment is based on the individual's specific symptoms.Neonatal progeroid syndrome is a premature aging syndrome in which features of human aging are apparent at birth, including larger than nomal sized head; prominent scalp veins; triangular, aged face; wrinkled skin; and decreased fat under the skin.
Last updated: 2/16/2010
- Pivnick EK. Neonatal Progeroid Syndrome. NORD Guide to Rare Disorders. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003;
- Arboleda G, Ramirez N, Arboleda H. The neonatal progeroid syndrome (Wiedemann-Rautenstrauch): a model for the study of human aging?. Exp Gerontol. 2007 Oct; 42:939-943. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17728088.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Neonatal progeroid syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.