Print friendly version
 This condition, which most often occurs because the brain fails to grow at a normal rate, can be present at birth or it may develop in the first few years of life. Conditions that affect brain growth and can cause microcephaly include infections, genetic disorders, severe malnutrition and other environmental factors. Some children with microcephaly will be of normal intelligence and development. However, many children with microcephaly experience complications such as developmental delays, difficulties with balance and coordination, short stature, hyperactivity, mental retardation, seizures or other neurological abnormalities. While there's no treatment for microcephaly, early intervention may help enhance development and improve quality of life.Microcephaly is a neurological condition in which a person's head is significantly smaller than normal for their age and sex, based on standardized charts.
Last updated: 4/7/2010
- Dugdale DC, Kaneshiro NK. Microcephaly. MedlinePlus. 2009; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003272.htm. Accessed 4/7/2010.
- Microcephaly. MayoClinic.com. 2010; http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/microcephaly/DS01169/METHOD=print. Accessed 4/7/2010.
- NINDS Microcephaly Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). 2008; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/microcephaly/microcephaly.htm. Accessed 4/7/2010.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- MayoClinic.com provides information about microcephaly. Click on the above link to access this information.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Microcephaly. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.