Maternally inherited diabetes and deafness
Other Names for this Disease
- Ballinger Wallace syndrome
- Diabetes and deafness, maternally inherited
- Diabetes mellitus type II with deafness
- Diabetes-deafness syndrome, maternally transmitted
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
In MIDD, the diabetes and hearing loss usually develop in mid-adulthood, although the age that they occur varies from childhood to late adulthood. Typically, hearing loss occurs before diabetes.
Last updated: 2/20/2014
- Maternally inherited diabetes and deafness. Genetics Home Reference (GHR). October 2012; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/maternally-inherited-diabetes-and-deafness. Accessed 2/20/2014.