Spinocerebellar ataxia 2
Other Names for this Disease
- Autosomal dominant cerebellar ataxia type 1
- Autosomal dominant cerebellar ataxia type I
- Cerebellar plus syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
Treatment of spinocerebellar ataxia 2 (SCA2) is supportive and aims to help the affected person maintain their independence and avoid injury. It is recommended that people with SCA2 remain physically active, maintain a healthy weight, use adaptive equipment as needed, and avoid alcohol and medications that affect cerebellar function. Adaptive equipment may include canes or other devices to help with walking and mobility. People with SCA2 may develop difficulty speaking and may need to use computerized devices or writing pads to help with communication. Levodopa may be prescribed to help with some of the movement problems (e.g., rigidity and tremor), and magnesium may improve muscle cramping.
Last updated: 1/31/2014
- Pulst SM. Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2. GeneReviews. August 1, 2013; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1275/. Accessed 1/31/2014.
- Lastres-Becker I, Rüb U, Auburger G. Spinocerebellar ataxia 2 (SCA2). Cerebellum. 2008;
- Spinocerebellar degenerations. Neuromuscular Disease Center at Washington University. 2009; http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/ataxia/domatax.html#sca2. Accessed 5/19/2009.
- GeneReviews provides current, expert-authored, peer-reviewed, full-text articles describing the application of genetic testing to the diagnosis, management, and genetic counseling of patients with specific inherited conditions. Click on the link to view the article on this topic.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Spinocerebellar ataxia 2. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.
- Orphanet lists clinical trials, research studies, and patient registries enrolling people with this condition. Click on Orphanet to view the list.