Print friendly version
Choroid plexus papilloma
Other Names for this Disease
- Papilloma of choroid plexus
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Choroid plexus papilloma (CPP) ia a non-cancerous (benign) tumor of the choroid plexus, a network of blood vessels in the brain which surrounds the ventricles and produces the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord (cerebrospinal fluid, or CSF). CPPs most commonly occur in children but may occur in adults. Symptoms are generally due to increased secretion of CSF by tumor cells, causing hydrocephalus and subsequent intracranial pressure. Affected individuals may experience headaches, nausea and vomiting, drowsiness, ocular or gaze palsies, optic nerve swelling (papilledema), visual disturbances, and possible blindness. Infants, especially those with a tumor in the third ventricle, can present with hydrocephalus or macrocephaly. Some cases of CPP may result from a mutation in the TP53 gene. Complete tumor removal often cures the condition and may also relieve the hydrocephalus.
- Choroid Plexus. American Brain Tumor Association. http://www.abta.org/understanding-brain-tumors/types-of-tumors/choroid-plexus.html. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Cheryl Ann Palmer. Choroid Plexus Papilloma. Medscape Reference. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/250795-overview. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Papilloma of Choroid Plexus. OMIM. http://omim.org/entry/260500. Accessed December 10, 2012.
On this page
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The National Cancer Institute provides the most current information on cancer for patients, health professionals, and the general public. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Choroid plexus papilloma. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- The The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Choroid plexus papilloma. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.