Print friendly version
Complex regional pain syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Complex regional pain syndrome is a chronic pain condition that mainly affects the arms or legs and is often triggered by injury. It is characterized by constant pain, sensitivity, and skin color and temperature changes at the site of an injury. The pain is out of proportion to the severity of the injury and worsens with time. Treatment aims to control these painful symptoms.
Last updated: 10/19/2011
- NINDS Complex regional pain syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. April 2011; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/reflex_sympathetic_dystrophy/reflex_sympathetic_dystrophy.htm. Accessed 10/19/2011.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Complex regional pain syndrome. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Complex regional pain syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.