Other Names for this Disease
- Cellular schwannoma (histologic variant)
- Melanotic schwannoma (histologic variant)
- Plexiform schwannoma (histologic variant)
The best treatment options for schwannoma depends on several factors, including the size and location of the tumor; whether the tumor is benign or malignant (cancerous); and the age and overall health of the affected person. For example, standard treatment for benign schwannomas is surgery to remove as much of the tumor as possible. People with malignant schwannomas may also be treated with radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy in addition to surgery.
Last updated: 11/12/2014
- Schwannoma (Neurilemoma). Children's Hospital Boston. 2011; http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1069/mainpageS1069P0.html. Accessed 7/4/2011.
- Schwannoma. Cancer Research UK. July 1, 2013; http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/what-is-schwannoma.
- Ian D Dickey, MD, FRCSC. Neurilemmoma. Medscape. May 30, 2012; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1256405-overview#a0112. Accessed 11/11/2014.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Schwannoma. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.