Other Names for this Disease
- Recurrent spontaneous hypothermia with hypoplasia of the corpus callosum
- Shapiro's syndrome
- Spontaneous periodic hypothermia
- Spontaneous periodic hypothermia syndrome
- Spontaneous recurrent hypothermia syndrome
hypothermia and the agenesis of the corpus callosum. The duration and frequency of the episodes vary from person to person, with some episodes lasting hours to weeks and occurring from hours to years; the reason for the variations in the episodes is not yet known. The cause of the condition is currently unknown; however, a "resetting" of the temperature of the body to a lower level has been suggested. Although different treatment options have been attempted in some patients, the treatments have been unsuccessful or of doubtful efficacy because of the small number of individuals that have been documented as having this condition.Shapiro syndrome is a rare disease affecting about 50 people worldwide that is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of excessive sweating and
Last updated: 7/13/2009
- Hausfater P. Spontaneous periodic hypothermia. Orphanet. June 2003; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=29822. Accessed 7/13/2009.
- Shenoy C. Shapiro syndrome. Q J Med. 2008;
- Dundar NL, Boz A, Duman O, Aydin F, Haspolat S. Spontaneous Periodic Hypothermia and Hyperhidrosis. Pediatr Neurol. 2008;
On this page
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Shapiro syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.