Other Names for this Disease
- Situs inversus viscerum
Your QuestionMy husband has situs inversus. Is the brain turned around or otherwise affected in individuals with this condition?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
Findings from several articles support the concept that brain abnormalities (specifically asymmetry) may be found in individuals who have situs inversus. At least one study found evidence which supported the concept that a reversal of more commonly found intracranial anatomy may occur in situs inversus totalis.
You can find articles relevant to this topic through PubMed, a searchable database of biomedical journal articles. Although not all of the articles are available for free online, most articles listed in PubMed have a summary available. To obtain the full article, contact a medical/university library or your local library for interlibrary loan. You can also order articles online through the publisher’s Web site. Using "situs inversus AND brain abnormalities" as your search term should help you locate articles. Use the advanced search feature to narrow your search results. Click here to view a search.
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) Web site has a page for locating libraries in your area that can provide direct access to these journals (print or online). The Web page also describes how you can get these articles through interlibrary loan and Loansome Doc (an NLM document-ordering service). You can access this page at the following link http://nnlm.gov/members/. You can also contact the NLM toll-free at 888-346-3656 to locate libraries in your area.
- Tiller GE, Hamid R. Situs Inversus. NORD Guide to Rare Disorders. 2003;
- Ihara A, Hirata M, Fujimaki N et al.. J Neurol Sci. 2009; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19897211. Accessed 7/19/2010.
- Tubbs RS, Wellons JC, Salter G, et al.. Anat Embryol (Berl). 2003; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12592571. Accessed 7/19/2010.
- Kennedy DN, O'Craben KM, Ticho BS, et al.. Neurology. 1999; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10522882. Accessed 7/19/2010.
- Tanaka S, Kanzaki R, Yoshibayashi M, et al.. Neuropsychologia. 1999; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10408653. Accessed 7/19/2010.