Other Names for this Disease
- Multiple sebaceous cysts
What are the signs and symptoms of steatocystoma multiplex?
What causes steatocystoma multiplex?
How might steatocystoma multiplex be treated?
In other cases the condition occurs sporadically. This may mean that it is due to a gene mutation that was not inherited, but occurred for the first time in the affected individual. A sporadic condition may also be non-genetic and occur by chance, in which case it is not likely to recur in a family. In many sporadic cases of steatocystoma multiplex, mutations in the KRT17 gene have not been identified.
Cases of steatocystoma multiplex have also been reported in association with pachyonychia congenita, acrokeratosis verruciformis, hypertrophic lichen planus, hypohidrosis, hidradenitis suppurativa, and natal teeth.
In a recently published case study, the authors present a case in which an individual with steatocystomas on the abdomen and lower chest showed substantial clearance of cysts after two laser treatment sessions. Future studies with a larger patient population will be helpful to evaluate this noninvasive treatment option and determine ideal treatment settings, number of treatments, and interval between treatments. This may prove to be an option for individuals with numerous cysts, in whom removal and drainage is not a realistic choice and other treatments have failed to improve the condition.
- Amanda Oakley. Steatocystoma multiplex. DermNet NZ. February 22, 2014; http://www.dermnetnz.org/lesions/steatocystoma-multiplex.html. Accessed 6/23/2014.
- Victor A. McKusick. Steatocystoma Multiplex. OMIM. June 9, 1997; http://omim.org/entry/184500. Accessed 6/6/2012.
- KRT17. Genetics Home Reference. August 2008; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/KRT17. Accessed 6/6/2012.
- Naik NS. Steatocystoma multiplex. Dermatol Online J. 2000 Sep;
- Steatocystoma-Multiplex. New Zealand Dermatologic Society, Inc. 1999; http://www.dermnetnz.org/lesions/steatocystoma-multiplex.html. Accessed 11/10/2009.
- Lee KK, Mehrany K, Swanson NA. Recognition and Treatment of Skin Lesions. In: Cummings. Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery, 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby, Inc; 2005;
- Chu DH. Steatocystoma multiplex. Dermatol Online J. 2003 Oct;
- Pamoukian VN, Westreich M. Five generations with steatocystoma multiplex congenita: a treatment regimen. Plast Reconst Surg. 1997;
- Steatocystoma multiplex. Online Mendialian Inheritance in Man. 1997; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=184500. Accessed 11/10/2009.
- Moody MN, Landau JM, Goldberg LH, Friedman PM. 1,450-nm Diode Laser in Combination with the 1550-nm Fractionated Erbium-Doped Fiber Laser for the Treatment of Steatocystoma Multiplex: A Case Report. Dermatol Surg. April 2012; Epub:
- Davey, MA. Steatocystoma Multiplex Treatment & Management. Medscape. October 26, 2012; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1059725-treatment. Accessed 6/23/2014.