Other Names for this Disease
- 46, XY CGD
- 46, XY complete gonadal dysgenesis
- 46, XY pure gonadal dysgenesis
- Gonadal dysgenesis, XY female type
Your QuestionCan women with Swyer syndrome experience orgasms?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
There have been conflicting reports regarding the sexual experiences of individuals affected by disorders of sexual development (DSD). Some reports have stated that the majority of individuals with 46,XY DSD (including Swyer syndrome) experience increased sexual problems and impairment of sexual function; others report that the majority of individuals with DSD report having experienced orgasm. More specifically, a 2006 study by McCarty et al which investigated the psychosexual outcome of 3 women with Swyer syndrome stated that all 3 affected women reported the ability to achieve orgasm. Although these reports do not specify that affected individuals can regularly reach climax during sexual activity, they do indicate that women with Swyer syndrome can experience orgasm.
Last updated: 4/3/2013
- Schonbucher V, Schweizer K, Richter-Appelt H. Sexual quality of life of individuals with disorders of sex development and a 46,XY karyotype: a review of international research. J Sex Marital Ther. 2010; 36(3):193-215.
- Bryan M. McCarty, Claude J. Migeon, Heino F.L. Meyer-Bahlburg, Howard Zacur and Amy B. Wisniewski. Medical and Psychosexual Outcome in Women Affected by Complete Gonadal Dysgenesis. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2006; 19:873-877.