Print friendly version
Fetal retinoid syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Accutane fetal effects of
- Accutane-exposed pregnancies
- Acutane embryopathy
- Isotretinoin (RoAccutane) embryopathy
- Isotretinoin embryopathy
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
isotretinoin (Accutane), a drug used to treat severe cystic acne. Birth defects associated with fetal retinoid syndrome include: hydrocephalus, microcephaly, intellectual disabilities, ear and eye abnormalities, cleft palate and other facial differences, and heart defects. Isotretinoin can cause these birth defects in the early weeks of pregnancy, even before a woman knows that she is pregnant.Fetal retinoid syndrome is a characteristic pattern of physical and mental birth defects that results from maternal use of retinoids during pregnancy. The most well known retinoid is
Last updated: 4/12/2010
- Fetal Retinoid Syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2003; http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Fetal%20Retinoid%20Syndrome. Accessed 4/9/2010.
- Accutane (Isotretinoin) and Other Retinoids. March of Dimes. 2008; http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_1168.asp. Accessed 4/9/2010.
- The March of Dimes provides information about fetal retinoid syndrome. Click on the above link to access this information.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Fetal retinoid syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.