Unna-Thost palmoplantar keratoderma
Other Names for this Disease
- Diffuse NEPPK
- Diffuse nonepidermolytic palmoplantar keratoderma
- PPK diffusa circumscripta
- Thost-Unna disease
- Thost-Unna palmoplantar keratoderma
palmoplantar keratoderma that mostly affects the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. It usually begins in early childhood with redness of the palms and soles. The palms and soles gradually become thicker and develop a yellowish, waxy appearance. Increased sweating (hyperhidrosis) is quite common and there is a tendency to fungal and bacterial infections of the feet. This condition usually does not extend beyond the hands and feet. It may affect the knuckle pads and nails, but usually does not involve the thin skin on the top of the feet or hands. Unna-Thost palmoplantar keratoderma is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion and caused by mutations in the KRT1 gene.Unna-Thost palmoplantar keratoderma is a type of diffuse
Last updated: 10/12/2011
- Stanway A. Diffuse hereditary palmoplantar keratodermas. DermNet NZ. December 29, 2013; http://dermnetnz.org/scaly/diffuse-keratoderma.html. Accessed 5/8/2014.
- Palmoplantar keratoderma, nonepidermolytic, NEPPK. Online Mendelian Inheritance of Man (OMIM). September 2009; http://omim.org/entry/600962. Accessed 10/12/2011.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Unna-Thost palmoplantar keratoderma. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.