Print friendly version
Thyroglossal tract cyst
Other Names for this Disease
- Familial thyroglossal duct cyst
- Hereditary thyroglossal duct cysts
- Thyroglossal duct cysts
- Thyroglossal duct cysts familial
A thyroglossal duct cyst is a neck mass or lump that develops from cells and tissues remaining after the formation of the thyroid gland during embryonic development.
Last updated: 6/20/2008
- Ear, nose, and throat: Thyroglossal duct cyst. University of Virginia Health System. http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/peds_ent/thyrgduct.cfm. Accessed 6/20/2008.
- Children's Hospital Boston has an information page on cysts and sinuses of the head and neck which includes information on thyroglossal cyst. Click on Children's Hopstial Boston to view this information page.
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Thyroglossal tract cyst. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.