Hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsy
Other Names for this Disease
- Polyneuropathy, familial recurrent
- Tomaculous neuropathy
Hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsy (HNPP) is a disorder that affects peripheral nerves. This condition causes recurrent episodes of numbness, tingling, and/or loss of muscle function (palsy). An episode can last from several minutes to several months, but recovery is usually complete. Repeated incidents, however, can cause permanent muscle weakness or loss of sensation. The most common problem sites involve nerves in wrists, elbows, and knees. Symptoms usually begin during adolescence or early adulthood but may develop anytime from childhood to late adulthood. Symptoms vary in severity; many people never realize they have the disorder, while some people experience prolonged disability. This condition is caused by the loss of one copy of the PMP22 gene or alterations within the gene.
- Hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsies. Genetics Home Reference. April 2007; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=hereditaryneuropathywithliabilitytopressurepalsies. Accessed 7/20/2009.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsy. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsy. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.