Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- VATER association
birth defects that affects multiple parts of the body. The term VACTERL is an acronym with each letter representing the first letter of one of the more common findings seen in affected individuals: (V) = vertebral abnormalities; (A) = anal atresia; (C) = cardiac (heart) defects; (T) = tracheal anomalies including tracheoesophageal (TE) fistula; (E) = esophageal atresia; (R) = renal (kidney) and radial (thumb side of hand) abnormalities; and (L) = other limb abnormalities. Other features may include (less frequently) growth deficiencies and failure to thrive; facial asymmetry (hemifacial microsomia); external ear malformations; intestinal malrotation; and genital anomalies. Intelligence is usually normal. The exact cause of VACTERL association is unknown; most cases occur randomly, for no apparent reason.VACTERL association is a non-random association of
Last updated: 12/26/2010
- VACTERL Association. National Organization for Rare Disorders. September 27, 2010; http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=VACTERL%20Association. Accessed 12/25/2010.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on VACTERL association. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is an catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss VACTERL association. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.