Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Klippel-feil deformity, conductive deafness, and absent vagina
- Mullerian duct aplasia, unilateral renal agenesis, and cervicothoracic somite anomalies
fallopian tubes in females and the vas deferens in males), kidney abnormalities, and short stature (adult height of less than 5 feet).  Additional symptoms might include fused spinal bones in the neck and upper back and hearing loss. These symptoms may vary from person to person. MURCS association is present at birth but may not be noticed until after puberty, especially when an affected female does not receive her first period. This condition does not alter a person’s life expectancy.MURCS association stands for (MU)llerian, (R)enal, (C)ervicothoracic (S)omite abnormalities and is a developmental disorder that primarily affects the reproductive and urinary systems. Most individuals with MURCS association are female, although males can also have this condition. Females with MURCS association can have an absent or abnormally shaped uterus. In rare cases, the vagina is also affected. Both males and females with MURCS association can have absent or abnormally formed reproductive tubes (usually the
Last updated: 4/6/2011
- Duncan PA, Shapiro LR, Stangel JJ, Klein RM, Addonizio JC. The MURCS association: Mullerian duct aplasia, renal aplasia. J Pediatrics. 1979; 95(3):399. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/469663. Accessed 4/6/2011.
- Mahajan P, Kher A, Khungar A, Bhat M, Sanklecha M, Bharucha BA. MURCS association--a review of 7 cases. J Postgrad Med. 1992; 38:109. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1303407. Accessed 4/6/2011.
On this page
In Depth Information
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss MURCS association. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss MURCS association. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.