47, XYY syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- 47,XYY syndrome
- Disomy Y
- Double Y
- Jacobs syndrome
- Ocular albinism
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Y chromosome in each of a male's cells. Males with this condition typically do not have unusual physical features and usually have normal sexual development and are able to father children. Signs and symptoms vary widely among affected males and may include being taller than average; an increased risk of learning disabilities and delayed speech and language skills; delayed motor skills (such as sitting and walking); weak muscle tone (hypotonia); hand tremors or other involuntary movements (motor tics); and behavioral and emotional difficulties. A small percentage of males with 47, XYY syndrome are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders. Most cases are not inherited.47, XYY syndrome is characterized by an extra copy of the
Last updated: 1/5/2012
- 47,XYY syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. January 2009; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/47xyy-syndrome. Accessed 4/29/2011.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on 47, XYY syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The Pacific Northwest Regional Genetics Group has developed a fact sheet on 47, XYY syndrome, including prenatal diagnosis. Click on the link above to view this information page.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss 47, XYY syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.