Acute intermittent porphyria
Other Names for this Disease
- HMBS deficiency
- Hydroxymethylbilane synthase deficiency
- PBGD deficiency
- Porphobilinogen deaminase deficiency
- GeneReviews provides current, expert-authored, peer-reviewed, full-text articles describing the application of genetic testing to the diagnosis, management, and genetic counseling of patients with specific inherited conditions. Click on the link to view the article on this topic.
- Orphanet Emergency Guidelines is an article which is expert-authored and peer-reviewed that is intended to guide health care professionals in emergency situations involving this condition.
- The American Porphyria Foundation offers a document that includes information about porphyria, types, testing, and treatment with Panhematin®. Click the "document" link above to view these guidelines.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Acute intermittent porphyria. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.
Medical ProductsThe medication(s) listed in the table(s) below have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of this condition. The FDA Office of Orphan Products Development designates "orphan products" for those that treat rare diseases affecting fewer than 200,000 Americans. The table(s) below may not be an exhaustive list of drugs or products used to treat this condition. There may be other products available that are not considered orphan products. To search for all FDA approved drugs, visit Drugs@FDA. You can find orphan products used to treat other conditions by searching the Orphan Drug Product Designation database.
The FDA has approved this product to be used in this manner.
|Amelioration of recurrent attacks of acute intermittent porphyria (AIP) temporarily related to the menstrual cycle in susceptible women and similar symptoms which occur in other patients with AIP, porphyria variegata and hereditary coproporphyria.|
|More Information about this product||Drug Information Portal|