Other Names for this Disease
- 21 hydroxylase deficiency
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency
- CYP21 deficiency
On this page
21-hydroxylase-deficient congenital adrenal hyperplasia has an autosomal recessive pattern of inheritance. In autosomal recessive conditions, both parents carry one copy of a mutated gene for the disorder. They have a 25 percent chance with each pregnancy of having a child affected by the disorder. The chance with each pregnancy of having an unaffected child who is a carrier of the disorder is 50 percent, and the chance that a child will not have the disorder and will not be a carrier is 25 percent. See the illustration below.
Last updated: 7/25/2013
- If a genetic disorder runs in my family, what are the chances that my children will have the condition?. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/inheritance/riskassessment. Accessed 4/4/2008.