Alpha-thalassemia x-linked intellectual disability syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Alpha thalassemia mental retardation syndrome, nondeletion type, X-linked
- Alpha-thalassemia - X-linked intellectual disability syndrome
- Alpha-thalassemia-X-linked intellectual disability syndrome
- ATR, nondeletion type
- ATR-X syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
hypotonia), short height, a particular facial appearance, genital abnormalities, and possibly other symptoms. It is caused by mutations in the ATRX gene and is inherited in an x-linked way. Treatment includes regular visits to the doctor to monitor growth and intellectual development, early intervention and special education programs, and special formula to help with feeding and nutrition.Alpha-thalassemia x-linked intellectual disability (ATRX) syndrome is a genetic condition that causes intellectual disability, muscle weakness (
Last updated: 10/3/2012
- Stevenson RE. Alpha-thalassemia x-linked intellectual disability syndrome. GeneReviews. June 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1449/. Accessed 9/28/2012.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Alpha-thalassemia x-linked intellectual disability syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Alpha-thalassemia x-linked intellectual disability syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.