Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Autoimmune chronic hepatitis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
cirrhosis of the liver and/or liver failure. Autoimmune hepatitis sometimes occurs in relatives of people with autoimmune diseases, suggesting a genetic cause. This disease is most common in young girls and women.Autoimmune hepatitis is a disease in which the body’s immune system attacks liver cells. This immune response causes inflammation of the liver, also called hepatitis. The disease can be quite serious and, if not treated, gets worse over time, leading to
Last updated: 6/8/2011
- Autoimmune Hepatitis. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). April 2008; http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/autoimmunehep/. Accessed 4/22/2011.
- Dugdale DC, Longstreth GF. Autoimmune hepatitis. MedlinePlus. November 23, 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000245.htm. Accessed 4/22/2011.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC), part of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), offers information on this condition. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Autoimmune hepatitis. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Autoimmune hepatitis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.