Print friendly version
Other Names for this Disease
- Buerger's disease
- Inflammatory occlusive peripheral vascular disease
- Occlusive peripheral vascular disease
- Thromboangiitis obliterans
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 It is caused by vasculitis, which is an inflammation of blood vessels. The blood vessels of the hands and feet are especially affected, becoming constricted or totally blocked. This reduces blood flow to the tissues of hands and feet, resulting in pain and eventually damage.Buerger disease is a disease that causes obstruction of the blood vessels of the hands and feet.
Last updated: 11/19/2009
- Thromboangiitis obliterans. MedlinePlus. October 27, 2008; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000172.htm. Accessed 11/19/2009.
On this page
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic. Click on the link to view this information.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database contains genetics resources that discuss Buerger disease. Click on the link to go to OMIM and review these resources.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Buerger disease. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
Selected Full-Text Journal Articles
- Torpy JM, Lynm C, Glass RM. Vasculitis. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2007; 289(6):706.