Print friendly version
* Not a rare disease
Burning mouth syndrome
* Not a rare disease
Other Names for this Disease
- Burning mouth disorder
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 The condition may respond to interventions and treatments, may resolve spontaneously, or may persist for months to years.Burning mouth syndrome is characterized by long-lasting burning sensations of the mouth. The pain may affect the tongue, lips, palate, or throughout the mouth. Allergies, nerve damage, irritation, stress, among other things can cause burning mouth syndrome, however in many cases the underlying cause can not be identified.
Last updated: 11/12/2010
- Burning Mouth Syndrome. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. 2010; http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/Burning/BurningMouthSyndrome.htm. Accessed 11/12/2010.
- Burning Mouth syndrome. MayoClinic.com. 2010; http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/burning-mouth-syndrome/DS00462/DSECTION=all&METHOD=print. Accessed 11/12/2010.
- The American Academy of Family Physicians have developed an information page on burning mouth syndrome. Click on the link above to view the information page.
- The MayoClinic.com has an information page on burning mouth syndrome. Click on MayoClinic.com to view the information page.
- The American Dental Association has developed an information page on burning mouth syndrome. Click on the link above to view the information page.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition. Click on the link to view the information.
- The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), purposes to improve oral, dental and craniofacial health through research, research training, and the dissemination of health information. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
In Depth Information
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Burning mouth syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.