- Caroli disease isolated
- Congenital polycystic dilatation of intrahepatic bile ducts
- Cystic dilatation of the intrahepatic biliary tree
Your QuestionI was diagnosed with Caroli disease thirteen years ago when I was 26. I had part of my liver removed in an effort to alleviate my symptoms. A few years later the pain started coming back. I have also had endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) done to remove gallstones that were found in my ducts. The crazy thing about this is that I had my gallbladder removed 16 years ago. I have searched the Internet trying to find answers about this rare disease. How can it be treated?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
Additional information regarding treatment of Caroli disease can be accessed through the following emedicine links: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/927248-treatment#showall
Medical journal articles that discuss the treatment of Caroli disease can be found through PubMed, a searchable database of biomedical journal articles. Although not all of the articles are available for free online, most articles listed in PubMed have a summary available. To obtain the full article, contact a medical/university library or your local library for interlibrary loan. You can also order articles online through the publisher’s Web site. Using "Caroli disease AND treatment" as your search term should help you locate articles. Use the advanced search feature to narrow your search results. Click here to view a search.
- Caroli disease. Orphanet. October 2006; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/Disease_Search.php?lng=EN&data_id=10715&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseGroup=Caroli-disease&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseType=Pat&Disease(s)/group%20of%20diseases=Caroli-disease&title=Caroli-disease&search=Disease_. Accessed 5/18/2011.
- Caroli Disease. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2006; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/606/viewAbstract. Accessed 5/18/2011.
- Caroli Disease, Isolated. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM). 2011; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/omim/600643. Accessed 5/18/2011.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Saeian K. Caroli's disease: identification and treatment strategy. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2007; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17418061. Accessed 5/19/2011.