Chromosome 1p36 deletion syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- 1p36 deletion syndrome
- Monosomy 1p36 syndrome
intellectual disability. Most affected individuals do not speak, or speak only a few words. They may have temper tantrums, bite themselves, or exhibit other behavior problems. Most have structural abnormalities of the brain, and seizures occur in more than half of individuals with this disorder. Affected individuals usually have weak muscle tone (hypotonia) and swallowing difficulties (dysphagia). Other features include a small head that is unusually short and wide; vision and hearing problems; abnormalities of the skeleton, heart, gastrointestinal system, kidneys, or genitalia; and distinctive facial features. 1p36 deletion syndrome is caused by a deletion of genetic material from a specific region in the short (p) arm of chromosome 1. Most cases are not inherited.1p36 deletion syndrome is a chromosome disorder that typically causes severe
Last updated: 6/30/2011
- 1p36 deletion syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. March 2009; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/1p36-deletion-syndrome. Accessed 6/30/2011.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Chromosome 1p36 deletion syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- Unique is a source of information and support for families and individuals affected by rare chromosome disorders. Click on the link to view information about chromosome 1p36 deletion syndrome.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Chromosome 1p36 deletion syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.