Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
Other Names for this Disease
- Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy
On this page
Treatment for CIDP includes:
- Corticosteroids such as prednisone to help reduce inflammation and relieve symptoms
- Medications that suppress the immune system (azathioprine, methotrexate, mycophenolate, cyclosporine, and cyclophosphamide)
- Removal of antibodies from the blood through plasmapheresis or plasma exchange
- Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) therapy, which adds large numbers of antibodies to the blood plasma to reduce the effect of the antibodies
- Physiotherapy to improve muscle strength, function and mobility, and minimize the shrinkage of muscles and tendons and distortions of the joints
Last updated: 8/1/2012
- NINDS Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). 2011; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cidp/cidp.htm. Accessed 8/1/2012.
- Chronic inflammatory polyneuropathy. MedlinePlus. 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000777.htm. Accessed 8/1/2012.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.
Medical ProductsThe medication(s) listed in the table(s) below have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of this condition. The FDA Office of Orphan Products Development designates "orphan products" for those that treat rare diseases affecting fewer than 200,000 Americans. The table(s) below may not be an exhaustive list of drugs or products used to treat this condition. There may be other products available that are not considered orphan products. To search for all FDA approved drugs, visit Drugs@FDA. You can find orphan products used to treat other conditions by searching the Orphan Drug Product Designation database.
|Generic Name||Immune Globulin (Human)|
The FDA has approved this product to be used in this manner.
|Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) to improve neuromuscular disability and impairment and for maintenance therapy to prevent relapse|
|More Information about this product||
Drug Information Portal
Medline Plus Health Information