Other Names for this Disease
- Microscopic colitis, collagenous type
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
inflammatory bowel disease that affects the colon. It is a form of microscopic colitis, which means that the inflammation is only visible when a biopsy is examined under a microscope; the inflammation cannot be seen or diagnosed from colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. Signs and symptoms may be ongoing or intermittent and may include chronic, watery, non-bloody diarrhea and abdominal pain or cramps. The exact underlying cause is unknown but may relate to a bacteria, a virus, an autoimmune response, and/or a genetic predisposition. Treatment for collagenous colitis varies depending on the symptoms and severity in each individual. In some cases, the condition resolves on its own.Collagenous colitis is a type of
Last updated: 6/20/2013
- Collagenous Colitis and Lymphocytic Colitis. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). January 2006; http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/collagenouscolitis/. Accessed 6/19/2013.
- Fernando Fernandez-Banares. Collagenous colitis. Orphanet. February 2005; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=36205. Accessed 6/19/2013.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC), part of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), offers information on this condition. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. Click on the link to view this information. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Collagenous colitis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.